This text is translated into Russian by google automatic human level neural machine.
EastRussia is not responsible for any mistakes in the translated text. Sorry for the inconvinience.
Please refer to the text in Russian as a source.
Our business is coal, steel and ore
- Oleg Viktorovich, the government was unable to resolve the issue of assistance
- It is still too early to put an end - the discussion of possible support measures continues, various ways to stabilize the company's financial position are being considered. The issue of convertible bonds is the most acceptable option for all participants, since it does not provide for budget spending and allows the company to restructure the debt burden so that Mechel can work efficiently and pay the debt.
Another option, which was considered, is the sale of RZD 321-kilometer railway from BAM to Elginsky deposit. This railway could become a core asset for Russian Railways. They invest in the modernization of the BAM and Transsib, and the Elga makes this eastern section of the BAM pay off. If the deal is implemented, it will be able to radically change the situation with the debt burden of the company. There is an active process of discussion, there are other options.
- Answering the question of how a solution could be in this case, Minister of Industry of the Russian Federation D. Manturov said that strategic investments from East Asian companies, for example, Chinese, could be attracted. Is this option being considered? And if so, are there foreign companies who are interested in such a strategic partnership?
- Yes, we are considering the option of attracting a strategic investor in the Elga field. This is the main investment project of Mechel, the largest deposit of high-quality coking coal in Russia with reserves of 2,2 billion tons. It is located in Southern Yakutia and has a unique geographical advantage in the coal market of the APR countries because of the short transport link to the Far Eastern ports.
- What will be the future development strategy of the company, on what possible direction of the business you will focus, perhaps, further development of the Elga deposit will help? How are deposits estimated? Did you consider selling options for a part of the Elgaugol project?
- Mechel is a mining and metallurgical company. Elginskoye field is indeed the main element of our development strategy - in the future, its development will allow the company to become one of the three largest producers of coal for metallurgy in the world.
The second direction of development is metallurgy with high added value. Last year, we launched a universal rail-mill at the Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Plant, capable of producing 100-meter rails for high-speed lines. After its release at full capacity, we expect to supply RZD to 400000 tons of rails annually. Also, Mechel is the largest manufacturer of hardware in Russia and one of the largest - fittings and special steels. We plan to maintain a leading position in these segments.
- How did it happen that a private company investing huge amounts of money in an infrastructure project, in particular a railway branch to the Yakutia field, without which the development of the field would be impossible, found no support for the way out of the difficult situation either by the largest monopoly of Russian Railways, Which should create conditions for the development of infrastructure?
- Now the negotiations on the measures of support for Mechel are continuing, therefore it is wrong to say that there is no help. In the process, the best government experts are involved, dozens of different schemes are being worked out. The final decisions have not yet been made, but work in this direction is conducted by the capital, so we can not say that we were thrown in a difficult situation.
- Did the company's problems with debt obligations affect its social policy: staff reduction, labor remuneration and support of social programs?
- No, they did not. Due to poor market conditions, we stopped our coal company Bluestone in the US, but in 2014 we do not plan staff reductions in Russia.
- The crisis of overproduction, the considerable volatility of commodity prices, in particular coal and metals, in the world, are not the factors of uncertainty for building further plans for the company? And are there any options for the development of the company in the event of a large drop in world prices for raw materials?
- The catastrophic drop in world prices for raw materials has already happened - the prices for coking coal are at a seven-year low. Nevertheless, the market believes in recovery, Australian producers do not close assets, despite the losses.
The demand for coal in the long run will only grow, Asia will be the main locomotive (80% of world consumption). Analysts expect Asia to grow in the next 10 years from 250 to 350 million tonnes of coking coal.
According to the AME agency, Yakutugol is on the 6 place for profitability in the world, Yuzhny Kuzbass - on the 15, and Elga, after launching the first stage, will be on the 7 place on the 66 largest enterprises in the world.
Launching of Elga in 2017 year will allow us to significantly improve the financial result - this will be one of the most effective coal projects in the world. Thus, at any price conjuncture we plan to remain among the leaders.
- How can the company’s logistical direction and further development of the ports of Posiet and Vanino help an early recovery from the crisis?
- Poset and Vanino - Mechel's transport security guarantees. With the release of the Elginsky deposit at full capacity, we will significantly increase the volume of supplies through the Far Eastern ports. We have already increased the capacity of the Posiet port to 7 million tons per year, it already transports more cargo by 25% than a year ago. Since the moment we got access to the port of Vanino, there growth was more than 30%.
If Elga in 2018 year will give 8 million tons of finished products, it is vitally important for us to be able to deliver them to customers. Asia already now occupies 75% in the structure of our export sales, and this share will grow.
- How are the relations between the company's management and the regional authorities of the Far Eastern regions in which the company operates?
- We have a constructive working relationship with regional authorities at all levels. We are pleased that the regions highly appreciate our projects, such as the construction of the Elga coal complex, the reconstruction of the Posyet port, and our participation in Vanino is also highly appreciated. Regional leaders understand and share the problem of financial stabilization, which the company now faces. We feel their support, for which I want to say many thanks to them.
- Will there be new approaches to the development of the Far East, in particular the Torah, to the withdrawal of Mechel from a crisis situation?
Even when planning BAM, there was an option to build a road in such a way that it would pass through the Elga and the untold wealth surrounding it. The strategy of the coal industry of the Russian Federation implies that the center of Russian coal mining will shift to Eastern Siberia - precisely due to the Elga deposit and Tuvan projects. But if the Kyzyl-Kuragino branch, which is supposed to open Tyva’s coal reserves, has not even started to build yet, then the railway to Elga is ready.
The new mining cluster around Elga will definitely be. Whether the decision to develop it exactly as TOR or whether other mechanisms will be applied, we cannot say yet.
- Will the relations between the state and the Mechel company become not the best example for foreign investors coming to Russia?