Surfing in the Pacific
There are huge waves of waves, but often foreigners too. It seems nature has created ideal conditions for high-quality professional surfing: good waves, sandy beaches. Not everything is that simple though. Kamchatka However, surfing is a hobby known to Europeans since the 18th century, it has been gaining momentum in Kamchatka. Quaraequin Taras Sharyga He told us about this sport.
- Taras, how were you first introduced to surfing?
- About 12 years ago I tried surfing and immediately understood that it was ideal for recreation and tourism. Once there, I wanted to try surfing there. I met a very well-known local surfer Bob on the beach there. His photo was even displayed at the local airport. He was in Russian. I’ve got to know how to go surfing. Also, the ocean always involves deeply immersing yourself into nature. I liked everything a lot; it was probably then.
- How is surfing doing in Kamchatka? What are its prospects?
- It is a complicated one. Our infrastructure is not visible. Kamchatka is a winter region. If you’re out with the weather, it lasts from mid-June to mid-September. But it was a cold season. This is not a major factor in this area. There are few surfing enthusiasts in Kamchatka at present. There are not even hundreds, just dozens of people. It is the Pacific Ocean. The conditions are perfect for surfing.
- What are your goals when surfing in Kamchatka, regarding developing the sport?
This is a question about the life of the children. You can’t find a cool hobby, something that can’t be found anywhere. Where only surfing is concerned Petersburg, and Vladivostok. But the places are different. As for environmental quality, you can compare it to Kamchatka. Therefore, it’s possible to make a difference.
- What can you do?
- Tourists are interested in the waves here. But frequently it is one off trip. People come, surf, and return home. Try to keep your hand on surfing in cold water. Many Kamchatka locals are afraid of the ocean; who have been born on it even once. We can find people. Last year, where we’ve been willing to go. We had a lot of interested people, over 300 came. The goal was to simply attract people and we witnessed enormous interest among the residents of Kamchatka. There were those. Both groups are happy. It was cool!
- Why did you choose the Quiksilver brand for your school?
- Our company had been for a couple of years already. Quiksilver is the largest extreme sports company. These primarily include surfing and snowboarding. The idea of opening up a proprietary school occurred a while ago. What’s more? I am talking about developing sports. So it was an integral part of the business. It was hard work. Get out in the ocean. We needed to put in a serious preparation work.
There are a number of world over. Ours is the first in Russia. It has been a subject that has been subject to our experience. It is possible that our experience would be useful for other regions of Russia.
- You launched the school last year. How successful is it, what are your plans?
It was required. Because we need a surfboard. We need some good conditions, some kind of night, some kind of time. This year, we understood that surfing school needs more than just a surfing school. Because driving from Petropavlovsk to the ocean every day is too expensive. Accommodation. This year, we built a surf camp. We put up some teepees (Editor's note: cone-shaped tents). This is a concept that is guided by nature itself. Everything must be environmentally-friendly, beautiful and harmonious. Surfing as a lifestyle and sportsmanship, first and foremost, a dialogue with nature. Therefore, you must be able to see all around.
- A board and the ocean; people are our priority. How is your situation with personnel?
- our surf instructors, administrator, cook, assistants. About five people, all in all. They are not Kamchatka natives, they come from different regions. You need to travel as well; if you don’t know how. It turns out that the concept of our country turns into a concept. Next year, it’s possible to accept more people. I’m sure you can’t make up your mind.
- Are you an active surfer; what is surfing for you personally?
- For me, surfing is more of a lifestyle. Therefore, I can not answer yes. You can learn how to progress and achieve any results. In my case, I don’t get out in the sea enough, I don’t have enough time. But when I have a chance, I go to the ocean.